Scope of Practice
Dr. Williamson works within ‘The International Somatic Movement Education & Therapy Associations’ scope of practice. Her work is multi-model and multifaceted, responsive to many aspects of the body, and the misuse and desensitization of the body in western societies. As with many practitioners world-wide, her work moves within the following international scope of practice, set out and refined by ‘The International Somatic Movement Education and Therapy Association’. Please visit The International Somatic Movement Education & Therapy Association' (ISMETA) for further information about this international profession. (ISMETA https://ismeta.org/).
‘The purpose of Somatic Movement Education & Therapy is to enhance human function and body-mind integration through movement awareness. Our profession, as represented by ISMETA, encompasses distinct disciplines each with its own educational or therapeutic emphasis, principles, methods, and techniques.
The practice of Somatic Movement Education &Therapy includes’ (ISMETA https://ismeta.org/)
- postural and movement evaluation
- experiential anatomy and imagery
- movement patterning and re-patterning
- communication and guidance through touch and verbal cues
Each method helps students and clients in some way to:
· focus on the body both as an objective physical process and as a subjective process of lived consciousness
· refine perceptual, kinesthetic, proprioceptive, and interoceptive sensitivity that supports homeostasis, co-regulation, and neuroplasticity
· recognize habitual patterns of perceptual, postural and movement interaction with the environment
· improve movement coordination that supports structural, functional and expressive integration
· experience an embodied sense of vitality and create both meaning for and enjoyment of life
Somatic Movement Education & Therapy is multi-model and multi-faceted. Practitioners facilitate practice in a number of unique creative ways, and through a number of philosophical, artistic, spiritual and scientific lenses.